Crispy Asian-Glazed Tofu with simply 5 Elements delivers restaurant-quality tofu in 15 minutes. Fast, simple, and tremendous versatile, this vegan tofu recipe will grow to be a staple.
The Greatest Crispy Tofu Recipe:
This Crispy Asian-Glazed Tofu is formally a weeknight staple in my home. I’ll high salads or grain bowls with it, or toss it in stir-fries for a fast and simple dinner. It solely requires 5 components and comes collectively in simply 15 minutes. And, most significantly, it’s downright scrumptious with wealthy umami taste and coveted sticky-sweetness.
It’s additionally an awesome gateway recipe in the event you’re new to cooking tofu. I do know some of us are intimidated by it, however I promise it’s one of many EASIEST proteins to prepare dinner. Let’s evaluate the fundamentals:
Tofu is produced from soymilk that has been coagulated and both curdled and pressed into blocks (agency or extra-firm tofu) or left in its coagulated state to retain moisture (silken tofu). Because of this, tofu has a comfortable, creamy mouthfeel and gentle taste. I at all times buy extra-firm tofu for recipes like this as a result of it holds its form greatest. Search for it within the refrigerated produce part of most grocery shops.
Is Tofu Wholesome?
- Tofu is wealthy in calcium and protein (which ranges from about 4g in Three oz. of silken tofu to 10g in Three oz. of extra-firm tofu). It’s additionally an entire protein, due to this fact it accommodates all 9 important amino acids. As well as, it’s a high supply of isoflavones, a kind of flavonoid that has estrogen-like results and should assist decrease the danger of sure cancers.
- In the case of shopping for natural vs. typical tofu, natural will make sure that the soybeans are usually not GMO, due to this fact it’s definitely worth the negligible additional value. (Tofu is SUPER low-cost as it’s, so one other plus!)
How Do I Prepare dinner Tofu?
Briefly, cooking tofu at house is lifeless easy, and solely takes about 15 minutes. Listed below are a few of my suggestions for the crispiest, sautéed tofu:
- Tofu could be a appropriate stand-in for many meals, and may tackle nearly any taste profile you throw its method. When buying blocks of tofu packed in water (which assist protect and hold it recent), remember to drain the water and press any extra moisture out utilizing a kitchen towel. I often slice it into 6 even slabs after which press every one to take away as a lot moisture as doable.
- Tofu tends to latch onto pans, due to this fact utilizing a nonstick pan will assist higher set you up for fulfillment relating to sautéing. Use medium-high warmth and a impartial cooking oil for greatest outcomes, and, above all, keep away from crowding the pan! Giving the tofu ample area to prepare dinner will ensue it reaches its crispiest potential.
- Add sauce throughout the closing 2 minutes of cooking so the tofu doesn’t grow to be soggy. Utilizing a sauce with sugar in it should caramelize the tofu and actually take it up a notch when it comes to taste and texture.
What to Serve with Crispy Tofu:
This crispy tofu goes properly with absolutely anything. Listed below are a few of my favourite methods to serve it:
- With rice and roasted veggies in a grain bowl with a scrumptious sauce.
- In a stir-fry with seasonal greens and brown rice noodles.
- As “croutons” over a hearty kale salad with roasted squash and fruit (pictured under).
It’s an awesome recipe to make for meal prep and luxuriate in all through the week. Upon reheating, it should lose a few of its crispiest, nonetheless the flavour will keep robust. You possibly can both reheat it within the microwave, toaster oven/air fryer, or a sauté pan. And if it turns into a bit of dry, add one other splash of soy sauce to liven it again up. For those who give this recipe a strive, remember to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your stunning creations!
Crispy Asian-Glazed Tofu (5 Elements)
Writer: Jamie Vespa MS, RD
Recipe kind: Vegan, Dinner
Prepare dinner time:
Crispy Asian-Glazed Tofu with simply 5 Elements delivers restaurant-quality tofu in 15 minutes. Fast, simple, and tremendous versatile.
- 1 (14-oz.) bundle extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin
- 2 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Slice tofu width-wise into 6 slabs. Use a kitchen towel to softly press every slice to take away extra liquid; minimize into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix hoisin, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Warmth oil in a big nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add tofu and prepare dinner, untouched, for Three minutes, till backside of cubes are golden-brown. Toss and prepare dinner 5 additional minutes, tossing sometimes, to brown all sides. Add Asian glaze and prepare dinner 2 extra minutes, stirring usually, till tofu absorbs glaze and turns into caramelized. Take away from warmth and serve.