Final Sunday Eric and I visited the apple orchard with our associates. It just about custom for each Minnesotan to take action (nicely at the very least everybody I do know). Plus, Sunday was a good looking fall day and the timber are at their peak colours so it was the proper day to go to. Additionally, it has been raining lots right here in Minnesota, often on the weekends so we have been grateful that it was lastly good for this one so we may lastly go to! It was packed, looks as if everybody has the identical thought, however fortunately they nonetheless had loads of apples! After we walked in from the car parking zone within the area, we have been greeted with the aroma of freshly baked apple cinnamon doughnuts and pie, and kettle corn and it made me actually hungry once more despite the fact that I had simply eaten lunch.
We wandered although the orchard admiring the apple timber, however since they did not have choose your personal that day we headed to the barn to pattern all the varieties that they’d. That they had the previous Minnesota standbys just like the Honey Crisp, Haralson, and Courtland, however there have been additionally just a few varieties I had by no means tried earlier than and I ended up shopping for a few of (since I’ve not seen them on shops) just like the Pizazz and Honey Belle. I picked up baggage of the final two, as a result of they have been each flavorful, candy just a bit tart and distinctive. I knew they might make some actually good desserts in addition to snacks later within the week. Monday I made a decision to make use of a few of them to make Apple Pie Cookies! I really like a very good quaint apple pie and was craving some, however one massive pie appeared like plenty of work so I opted for the smaller ones as an alternative.
I wasn’t positive whether or not I ought to go for cookie dough or precise pie crust for these, however I went with the pie crust, crossing my fingers that it might work. As a result of mini pies with apple crust can be so cute. I sautéed the apples earlier than utilizing them within the pies as a result of I figured the cookies would prepare dinner higher and sooner if the filling was pre-cooked. Apples are sort of arduous in spite of everything, and often require an extended cooking time. I really do that with my massive pies too. The cookies smelled wonderful whereas baking and the perfect half was I bought to get pleasure from them lots sooner than conventional pie as a result of they baked up fast!
These are one thing that’s greatest served heat out of the oven. Not as a result of they aren’t good when they’re chilly, they nonetheless are, however I’m a kind of individuals who has to have my apple pie barely heat. It brings out the flavour extra! They tasted great, candy jammy apples baked to perfection inside, a flakey buttery tasting crust, and a touch of cinnamon! They have been actually much more forgiving to place collectively than conventional massive apple pie, and so they have been the proper recipe to showcase these Minnesota apples!
Vegan Apple Pie Cookies
- three medium candy tart candy apples (I used pizazz apples, however you should utilize different apples with plenty of taste resembling honey crisp, haralson, or pink girl)
- three Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lemon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 half Tbsp arrowroot starch
- coconut milk, for brushing
- coconut sugar, for topping
- To make the crust, in a big bowl, combine collectively flour, sugar, sea salt, and spices.
- Reduce in coconut oil with a pastry blender or 2 knives till it’s in pea sized items. Combine in simply sufficient water to create a easy dough that holds collectively however is not too sticky. Add extra water if wanted, and knead barely till a easy dough is created.
- Roll dough out into a big rectangle 1/eight inch thick utilizing parchment beneath and floured rolling pin, and minimize into 36 circles with a cookie cutter, then reducing a vent gap into half of them (alternatively should you do not wish to minimize a gap, you may poke the highest just a few instances with a knife earlier than baking as an alternative).
- Preheat oven to 375F levels. To make filling, combine collectively all components however the arrowroot in a non-stick skillet. Warmth over medium and prepare dinner till the apples have softened, about 10 minutes, after they’ve softened add the arrowroot.
- Spoon the filling by the tsp onto half of the ready little crust circles, and canopy with the highest items of dough with the vent gap (I used a small spatula to fastidiously transfer them), urgent the perimeters and crimping with a fork.
- Brush crust with somewhat coconut milk, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes till the crusts are beginning to brown calmly.
- Take away from oven and let cool on a wire rack till heat.
*In the event you want these to not be gluten free, you should utilize natural entire wheat pastry flour instead of the GF all objective flour, the identical quantity.